Senior Research Scientist/ GFDL / NOAA
Lecturer with rank of Professor / AOS Program / Geosciences / Princeton University
isaac.held at noaa.gov
- Atmospheric and oceanic fluid dynamics/geophysical turbulence
- Climate dynamics/global warming
Some lectures and essays:
- Tokyo, 2002
- Woods Hole 2000
- AMS Haurwitz Lecture, 1999: Equatorial superrotation in Earth-like atmospheric models
- The Gap between Simulation and Understanding in Climate Modeling, BAMS, 2005.
- Stationary and quasi-stationary eddies in the extratropical troposphere: Theory, 1983, in Large-Scale Dynamical Processes in the Atmosphere, B.J. Hoskins and R. P. Pearce, Eds, ISBN 0-12-356680-0, LCCCN 82-73231, Academic Press, pp. 127-168.
- Held and Hoskins, 1985: Large-scale eddies and the general circulation of the troposphere, Advances in Geophysics, 28, Part A, 3-31.
Sahel rainfall projections for the 21st century -- status
Most recent papers
- Zhao, Held, Vecchi, 2010: Retrospective forecasts of the hurricane season using a global atmospheric model assuming persistence of SST anomalies. Mon. Wea. Rev.
- Held, Winton, Takahashi, Delworth, Zeng, and Vallis, 2009: Probing the fast and slow components of global warming by returning abruptly to pre-industrial forcing. Accepted for publication, J. Clim. , Dec, 2009.
- Winton, Takahashi, and Held, 2009: Importance of ocean heat uptake efficacy to transient climate change. Accepted for publication in J.Clim, 2009
Selected recent papers on Atmospheric Dynamics
- Zhao, Held, and Garner, 2014: Parameter study of tropical cyclones in rotating radiative-convective equilibrium with column physics and resolution of a 25 km GCM. Accepted, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences.
- Held and Zhao,
2008: Horizontally homogeneous rotating radiative-convective equilibria
at GCM resolution. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences. See also Radiative-Convective Modeling.
- Kang, Held, Frierson, and Zhao, 2008: The response of the ITCZ to extratropical thermal forcing: Idealized slab-ocean experiments with a GCM. Journal of Climate.
- Chen and Held, 2007: Phase speed spectra & the recent poleward shift of Southern Hemisphere surface westerlies. Geophysical Research Letters.
- Held, 2007: Progress and problems in large-scale atmospheric dynamics. In The Global Circulation of the Atmosphere
- Chen, Held, and Robinson, 2007: Sensitivity of the latitude of the Surface Westerlies to surface friction. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences.
Selected recent papers on the effects of global warming on hurricanes
- Zhao, Held, Lin, and Vecchi, revised, June 2009: Simulations of global hurricane climatology, interannual variability, and response to global warming using a 50km resolution GCM. Journal of Climate.
- Garner, Held, Knutson, and Sirutis, 2009: The roles of wind shear
and thermodynamic stability in past and projected changes of Atlantic
tropical-cyclone activity, Journal of Climate.
Knutson, Sirutis, Garner, Vecchi, and Held, 2008: Simulated reduction in Atlantic hurricane frequency
under twenty-first-century warming conditions. Nature Geoscience. See this FAQ sheet for discussion of this paper.
- Knutson, Sirutis, Garner, Held, and Tuleya, 2007: Simulation of the recent multidecadal increase of Atlantic Hurricane activity using an 18-km-Grid Regional Model. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society,.
Selected recent papers on the hydrological cycle and climate change:
- Giannini, , Biasutti, Held, and Sobel, 2008: A global perspective on African climate. Climatic Change.
- Vechhi, Soden, Wittenberg, Held, Leetmaa, and Harrison, 2006: Weakening of tropical Pacific atmospheric circulation due to anthropogenic forcing. Nature
- Held and Soden, 2006: Robust responses of the hydrological cycle to global warming. Journal of Climate,
- Held, Delworrth, Lu, Findell, and Knutson, 2005: Simulation of Sahel drought in the 20th and 21st centuries . Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Selected recent papers on climate sensitivity:
- Held and Shell, 2012: Using relative humidity as a state variable in climate feedback analysis. Journal of Climate
- Soden, Held, Colman, Shell, Kiehl, and Shields, 2008: Quantifying climate feedbacks using radiative kernels. Journal of Climate
- Zhang, Delworth, and Held, 2007: Can the Atlantic Ocean drive the observed multidecadal variability in Northern Hemisphere mean temperature? Geophysical Research Letters
- Soden and Held, 2006: An assessment of climate feedbacks in coupled
ocean-atmosphere models . Journal of Climate