Research Physical Scientist
Climate Change, Variability and Prediction Group
Hydroclimatology; land-atmosphere interactions; impacts of land use change on climate; floods and droughts in a changing world
- The role of moisture and heat fluxes from the land surface on convective triggering.
- The CTP-HIlow framework: understanding atmospheric controls on soil moisture-boundary layer interactions.
- Climatic differences between historical land use patterns and estimates of "potential natural" vegetation patterns.
- Extratropical impacts of tropical deforestation.
- Relative impacts of historical land use and common sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies.
- Relationships between common SST anomalies and global flood and drought prevalence.
- Drought in the Sahel in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Surface hydrology in a changing climate:
- Summer drying/winter wetting in a world with higher levels of atmospheric CO2.