Dr. Ming Zhao
- Parameterization of atmospheric moist convection in global climate models
- Global atmospheric model development with emphasis on the representations of convection, clouds, atmospheric boundary layer turbulence, and their interactions with radiation, surface processes, circulation and climate
- Cloud feedback and climate sensitivity and their connections to atmospheric convection
- Simulation of global hurricane climatology, variability and future change using global high resolution climate models.
- Weather and climate extremes in a changing climate
- Numerical simulations and numerical methods
- 11/2003: Doctor of Philosophy in Atmospheric Science, University of British Columbia, Canada
- 06/1993: Master of Science in Meteorology, Nanjing Institute of Meteorology, China
- 07/1990: Bachelor of Science in Meteorology, Nanjing Institute of Meteorology, China
- Co-lead of GFDL MDT (Model Development Team) Coupled Working Group (CWG) for developing GFDL CM4 (2013-present).
- Lead of GFDL MDT (Model Development Team) Atmospheric Working Group (AWG) for developing GFDL AM4 (2013-present).
- Lead of GFDL Cloud and Climate Initiative (CCI) for improving understanding of the connections among convection, clouds and climate sensitivity (2012-present).
- Member of NOAA CPO MAPP Climate Model Development Task Force
- Member of NOAA CPO MAPP Climate Prediction Task Force
- Member of NOAA CPO MAPP Model Diagnostics Task Force
- Member of NOAA CPO MAPP CMIP5 Task Force
- Member of U.S CLIVAR Hurricane Working Group (2011-2014)
- Co-organizer, Global High-Resolution Modelling of the Atmosphere and Ocean, European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2014, Vienna, Austria, April 27 - May 2, 2014
- Session chair, Climate III, 31st AMS Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, San Diego, USA, March 30 - April 04, 2014
- Session chair, Precipitation in a Changing Climate, CFMIP/EUCLIPSE Meeting on Cloud Processes and Climate Feedbacks, Hamburg, Germany, 10-14th June, 2013
- Project scientist III (02/2013-present)
- Project scientist II (11/2007-02/2013), GFDL/UCAR, core member of Global Atmospheric Model Development Team (GAMDT) for developing GFDL HIgh Resolution Atmospheric Model (HIRAM) and AM3.
- Associate research scholar (2006-2007),
GFDL/Princeton University, core member of GAMDT for developing GFDL HIRAM and AM3.
- Research associate (2004-2006), GFDL/Princeton University, GFDL liaison scientist for the atmospheric CPT project and also working on idealized radiative convective equilibrium with and without ambient rotation using GCM physics.
- Post doctoral fellow (2003-2004), Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis, Victoria, Canada, work on large-eddy simulation of convection and clouds for a project entitled Modelling Clouds and Climate (MOC2).
- Meteorologist and head of short-range weather forecast branch (1993-1998), Shanghai Meteorological Center, Shanghai, China.
Grant and Journal Review Experiences
- NASA Grant Proposal and Review Panelist
- DOE Grant Proposal and Review Panelist
- National Science Foundation Grant Proposal
- NOAA Climate Program Funding Proposal
- Nature Climate Change
- Nature Communications
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Journal of Climate
- Journal of Atmospheric Sciences
- Journal of Geophysical Research
- Geophysical Research Letters
- Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems
- Climate Dynamics
- Climate Change
- Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
- Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan
- Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans
- International Journal of Climatology
- Advances in Atmospheric Sciences