My research interest lies in understanding the interactions among the atmosphere, land, and oceans, and how do these processes affect regional to global climate changes using both observational data and climate models.
I’m also interested in understanding how the variations of dust aerosol emission, land cover/land use change may influence climate over the United States in association with drought development and variations of remote sea surface temperatures.
- Pu, B., R.E. Dickinson, and R. Fu, 2016: Dynamical connection between low-level
winds and interannual variability of Gulf coast precipitation. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmospheres,
- Fernando, D.N., K. Mo, R. Fu, B. Pu, A. Bowerman, B.R. Scanlon, R. S. Solis,
L. Yin, R. E. Mace, J. R. Mioduszewski, T. Ren, and K. Zhang, 2016: What
caused the spring intensification and winter demise of the 2011 drought over
Texas? Clim. Dyn., accepted.
- Pu, B., R. Fu, R.E. Dickinson, and D. N. Fernando, 2016: Why do summer droughts
in the southern Great Plains occur in some La Niña years but not others? J.
Geophys. Res.- Atmospheres, in press.
- Pu, B., and R.E. Dickinson, 2014: Diurnal spatial variability of Great Plains
summer precipitation related to the dynamics of the low-level jet, Journal of
the Atmospheric Sciences, 71, 1807-1817.
- Pu, B., and R.E. Dickinson, 2013: Hydrological changes in the climate system
from leaf responses to increasing CO2. Clim. Dyn. doi:10.1007/s00382-013-1781-1.
- Pu, B., and R.E. Dickinson, 2012: Examining vegetation feedbacks on global
warming in the Community Earth System Model. J. Geophys. Res., 117, D20110,
- Pu, B., E. K. Vizy, and K. H. Cook, 2012: Warm season response over North
America to a shutdown of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation and
CO2 increases. J. Climate, 25, 6701-6720.
- Pu, B., and K. H. Cook, 2012: Role of the West African westerly jet in Sahel
precipitation variations on interannual and decadal time scales. J. Climate,