Presentations – Gabriel Vecchi
*** I INTENDED TO KEEP THESE UP TO DATE – BUT I LET IT SLIP. I WILL BE FILLING MY PRESENTATIONS THROUGH 2013 OVER THE COMING WEEKS. SORRY. GAV (8-June-2015) ***
- Seasonal to Decadal Prediction: An Introduction. Workshop on the application of seasonal to decadal scale climate forecasts for marine resource management. Princeton, NJ, 3-June-2015.
- NOAA-GFDL: Prediction Science and the North American Multi-Model Ensemble. Presentation for OAR Management Visit at GFDL. Princeton, NJ, 2-June-2015.Animation of HiFLOR tropical cyclones (large 430MB)
- The Next Season’s Hurricanes: towards improving seasonal hurricane prediction. Casualty Actuarial Society Workshop on Reinsurance. Philadelphia, PA, 1-June-2015.
- The Next Season’s Hurricanes: the science behind seasonal hurricane prediction. Webinar organized by Willis Re. Online. 1-June-2015.
- The Next Season’s Hurricanes. Seminar at Munich Re U.S. Headquarters. Plainsboro, NJ. 15-May-2015.
- Multi-decadal changes in hurricane activity. Discussion of Climate Change and Hurricanes at the Florida Governor’s Hurricane Conference. Orland, FL. 14-May-2015.
- Towards Seasonal Predictions of Regional Hurricane Activity. At Spring AGU Meeting. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 4-May-2015.
- Towards an unified system for understanding, predicting and projecting regional hurricane activity. Oceanography Seminar at Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory. Palisades, NY. 10-April-2015.
- Towards seasonal predictions of regional tropical cyclone activity. Seminar at Yale Climate and Energy Institute, Yale University. New Haven, CT. 2-March-2015.
- Impact of Model Resolution and Mean State Errors on ENSO. At 2015 ENSO Dynamics Workshop. Sydney, Australia. 4-February-2015.
- The Next Season’s Hurricanes. Presentation at Willis Re Florida Summit. Orlando, FL, 13-January-2015.
- Hurricane Predictions and Projections. Seminar at Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory. Palisades, NY, 22-February-2013.
- Hurricane Attribution, Prediction and Projection. Seminar at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. Princeton, NJ, 30-January-2013.
- A Mechanism for ENSO Asymmetries. CLIVAR Meeting on ENSO Mechanisms. Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 22-January-2013.
- Past and Future Tropical Cyclone Activity. Lecture at Rutgers University. 23-October-2012.
- Hurricane Predictions and Projections. Presentation at Tokio Marine 2012 Summit on Global Warming and Climate Change. Atlanta, GA, 28-June-2012.
- Past and Future Hurricane Activity. Presentation at 2012 RMS Client Conference. Chicago, IL, 3-May-2012.
- Weakening Tropical Circulation in Response to Warming: Oceanic and Atmospheric Feedbacks. Department Seminar, School of Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 27-April-2012.
- Atlantic Hurricane Attribution, Prediction and Projections. Department Seminar, Geosciences Dept., Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 12-April-2012.
- Precipitation Response in Climate Models: What’s new in CMIP5? (thus far). Presentation at Workshop on “Climate Change and Water Cycle, and Communicating Uncertainty”, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, 30-March-2012.
- Climate Change Science. Presentation at Environmental Citizenship and Climate Change:A workshop for communicating science Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 28-March-2012.
- Attribution of Extreme Events. Presentation in Colloquium on Extreme Weather and Climate Change: How Can We Address Uncertainty? Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 28-March-2012.
- Weakened Tropical Circulation in Response to Warming: Oceanic and Atmospheric Feedbacks. Earth and Ocean Sciences Departmental Seminar, Duke University, Durham, NC, 29-February-2012.
- Recent Results with the GFDL High-Resolution Coupled Modeling Systems. Presented at IITM Golden Jubilee International Conference on OCHAMP-2012. Pune, India, 25-February-2012.
- Future Tropical Cyclone Activity. Presented at Reinsurance Association of America Catastrophe Modeling Conference 2012. Orlando, FL, 14-February-2012.
- Tropical Cyclones in Coupled Models at GFDL. Presented at First Workshop of the US-CLIVAR Working Group on Hurricanes and Climate. New Orleans, LA, 28-January-2012.
- Cat. 4-5 Landfalling Tropical Cyclones in the Coming Decade. Presentation to Committee on Assessing the Impact of Climate Change on Political and Social Stresses, National Research Council. Washington, D.C., 12-January-2012.
- Detection and Prediction of Extremes: Tropical Cyclones. GFDL Climate Modeling and Research Symposium, Princeton, NJ, 17-October-2011.
- Patterns of temperature change and tropical precipitation/cyclones. NOAA workshop on Climate
Variability and Climate Science Challenges, Boulder, CO, 20-September-2011.
- Decadal climate variability, predictability and high-resolution coupled models. NOAA-OAR SRC Meeting, Princeton, NJ, 23-August-2011.
- Multi-year Predictions of North Atlantic Hurricane Activity: Initial Results and Challenges. Workshop on “Making sense of the multi-model decadal prediction experiments from CMIP5.?, Aspen, CO, 28-June-2011.
- Recent Results with the GFDL High-Resolution Coupled Modeling Systems. KORDI 2nd International Workshop of Climate Change Science and Modeling, Ansan, South Korea, 20-June-2011.
- Simulation of Tropical Cyclones Over 1880-2007 Using a 100km Global Atmospheric General Circulation Model. Northeast Tropical Meeting, Dedham, MA, 18-May-2011.
- Atlantic tropical cyclones and climate: observed changes. National Hurricane Conference, Atlanta, GA, 20-April-2011.
- Recent Results with the GFDL High-Resolution Coupled Modeling System. Forum on Regional Climate Monitoring, Assessment and Prediction for Asia (FOCRA-II), Beijing, China, 7-April-2011.
- Deriving Hurricane Frequency Information from Global Climate Models. EQUECAT Users Meeting, Miami, FL, 30-March-2011.
- Hurricane Attribution, Predictions and Projections. Seminar at RSMAS, U. Miami, Miami, FL, 30-March-2011.
- Towards Attribution of Hurricane Activity Changes. American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Meeting, San Juan, PR, 16-February-2011.
- Hurricane Attribution, Prediction and Projections. UT Institute of Geophysics, University of Texas, Austin, TX. 4-February-2011.Link to webcast of presentation
- Hurricane Attribution, Prediction and Projections. Department of Environmental Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. 28-January-2011.
- Understanding Global Warming. Teachers as Scholars Program. GFDL, Princeton, NJ. 19-January-2011.
- GFDL Activities in Decadal Initialization and Prediction. NOAA Office of
Climate Observations Annual System Review, Silver Spring, MD,
- Prediction, Projection and Attribution of Hurricane Activity. Presented at CLIVAR-WGMOD Decadal Variability and Prediction Meeting, Boulder, CO, 22-September-2010.
- Hurricanes and Climate: Current Challenges. Presented at 2010 US-CLIVAR Summit, Denver, CO. 8-July-2010.
- Experimental Seasonal-to-Interannual Hurricane Forecasts from Winter. Lunchtime seminar at NOAA-GFDL, Princeton, NJ. 19-May-2010.
- Experimental Seasonal-to-Interannual Hurricane Forecasts from Winter. Seminar at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, Calverton, MD. 22-April-2010.
- Past and Future Tropical Cyclone Activity. Guest lecture at the Byrne Seminar Course, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. 2-March-2010.
- Attribution, Prediction and Projection of Hurricane Activity Changes. Seminar at Columbia University SEAS Colloquium in Climate Science (SCiCS), New York, NY. 11-February-2010.
- Attribution, Prediction and Projection of Hurricane Activity Changes. Seminar at MIT Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Cambridge, MA. 8-February-2010.
- Attribution, Prediction and Projection of Hurricane Activity Changes. Presented at CLIVAR Workshop on “Predicting the
climate of the coming decades”, Miami, FL. 13-January-2010.
- Towards Attribution of Hurricane Activity Changes. Presented at 2009 Fall AGU, San Francisco, CA. 16-Dec-2009.
- Atlantic tropical cyclones and climate: observed changes. Lunchtime seminar at NOAA/GFDL, Princeton, NJ. 8-December-2009.
- Indian Ocean cooling events: large-scale conditions and coupling. Presented at IAMAS MOCA-2009, Montreal,Canada. 21-July-2009.
- Tropical Response to Warming: Oceanic and Atmospheric Feedbacks. Seminar at NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, Seattle, WA. 22-June-2009.
- Hurricanes and Climate: Our Growing Understanding. Presented at American Meteorological Society’s Short Course on Climate Change Science at 37th Conference on Broadcast Meteorology, Portland, OR. 21-June-2009.
- IPCC-class climate models: Issues for fisheries applications. Workshop on Applying
IPCC-class Models of Global Warming to Fisheries Prediction. Princeton, NJ. 15-June-2009.
- Towards Attribution of Hurricane Activity Changes. AGU Joint Assembly. Toronto, Canada. 26-May-2009.
- Slowdown of Tropical Circulation in a Warming Climate. Oceanography Departmental Seminar, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA. 13-May-2009.
- Cambio Climático en el Pacífico Este: El Contexto General para Galápagos. Taller de Expertos para Análisis de Vulnerabilidad de la Biodiversidad y el Bienestar Humano Asociado de las Islas Galápagos ante el Cambio Climático. Isla Santa Cruz, Galápagos, Ecuador. 21-April-2009.
- Tropical response to global warming: Mechanisms and analogues. Global Warming and El Niño Workshop, Greenhouse 2009 Meeting. Perth, WA, Australia. 26-March-2009.
- Climate Change and Wind. Cooperative Actions for Disaster Risk Reduction Meeting, Tokyo, Japan. 4-March-2009.
- Tropical Response to Warming: Oceanic and Atmospheric Feedbacks. Seminar at COLA. Calverton, MD, USA. 8-February-2009.
- Towards Attribution of Hurricane Activity Changes. Attribution of Climate Extremes Workshop. Boulder, CO, USA. 26-January-2009.