Welcome to my personal web page.
I’m a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Program for Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences (AOS) at Princeton University.
I’m working with Dr. Sonya Legg and Dr. Robert Hallberg.
I am interested in small scale mixing in the ocean.
This includes gravity currents, exchange flows and deep convection.
I focus on idealized process studies using high resolution numerical simulations.
- Affect of topography in overflows
- Mixing in stratified flow
- Turbulence closures
- Interaction between overflow and mesoscale eddies
- Hydraulically controlled exchange flow
Fig 1. Evolution of the passive tracer isosurface field in a flow over a ridge problem. The red, green and blue isosurfaces are 0.25, 0.2 and 0.15, respectively. It is an indication of mixing that the red (densest) isosurface do not pass on the downstream side of the ridge.
Fig 2. Evolution of the temperature field in a lock-exchange problem. Horizontal and vertical axes are in (m).
- Il?cak, M., Adcroft, A., Griffies, S. M., Hallberg , R., “Spurious dianeutral mixing and the role of momentum closure”, Ocean Modelling , 45-46, 37-58, 2012. (.pdf)
- Il?cak, M., Vallis G. K.., “Simulations and Scaling of Horizontal Convection”, Tellus-A , submitted, 25th May 2011.
- Il?cak, M., Legg, S. , Adcroft, A., Hallberg , R., “Dynamics of a dense gravity current flowing over a corrugation”, Ocean Modelling , 38, 71-84, 2011.
- Il?cak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Johns, W. E., “How does the Red Sea outflow interact with Gulf of Aden eddies?”, Ocean Modelling , 36, 133-148, 2011.
- Il?cak, M., and Armi L., “Comparison between a non-hydrostatic numerical model and analytic theory for the two-layer exchange flows”, Ocean Modelling , 35, 264-269, 2010.
- Il?cak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Özsoy, E., Fischer, P.F., “Non-hydrostatic modeling of exchange flows across complex geometries“, Ocean Modelling , 29, 159-175, 2009. (.pdf)
- Il?cak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Peters, H., Baumert, Z. H., Iskandarani, M., “Performance of Two-Equation Turbulence Closures in Three-Dimensional Simulations of the Red Sea Overflow”, Ocean Modelling, 24, 122-139. 2008.(.pdf)
- Il?cak, M., Özgökmen, T. M., Peters, H., Baumert, Z. H., Iskandarani, M., “Very Large Eddy Simulation of the Red Sea Overflow”, Ocean Modelling, 20, 183-206. 2008. (.pdf)
- Il?cak, M., Ecder, A., and Turan, E., “Operator Splitting Techniques for the Numerical Analysis of Natural Convection Heat Transfer”, International Journal of Computer Mechanics, 84:6, 783-793. 2007. (.pdf)