Thomas R. Knutson
Group Leader: GFDL Climate Impacts and Extremes Group
Co-Chair (with John McBride, Australia): World Meteorological Organization Expert Team on Climate Change Impacts on Tropical Cyclones
Assessment articles (hurricanes and climate):
"Tropical Cyclones and Climate Change", an assessment by a WMO Expert Team on Climate Change Impacts on Tropical Cyclones (Nature Geoscience, March 2010). For a full copy of the article, contact (email): firstname.lastname@example.org
- NOAA State of the Science Fact Sheet on "Atlantic Hurricanes, Climate Variability, and Global Warming" (May 2012)
- Atlantic Hurricane Activity and Climate Change:
- Has Global Warming Affected Atlantic Hurricane Activity? (Overview web page, Updated January 2013)
- Dynamical Downscaling Projections of Twenty-First-Century Atlantic Hurricane Activity: CMIP3 and CMIP5 Model-Based Scenarios (J. Climate,Sept. 2013). See Research Highlight page (summary of article).
- Modeled Impact of Anthropogenic Warming on the Frequency of Intense Atlantic Hurricanes. Science: Our study projecting an increase in Cat 4-5 hurricanes with 21st century climate warming (published Jan. 2010)
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on our recent Science paper (updated December 2010)
- How well do we know past Atlantic hurricane activity? A web site on adjusting for "missing storms" in the past Atlantic hurricane data. Adjusted datasets are available here.
- Simulated Hurricane Animations Web Page
- Impacts of Greenhouse Gas-Induced Warming:
- Climate Change Detection and Attribution:
- The Extreme March-2012 Warm Anomaly over the Eastern United States: Global Context and Multimodel Trend Analysis. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. (2013) See Research Highlight page (summary of article).
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent in 2012: The role of global climate change. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. (2013)
- Multimodel Assessment of Regional Surface Temperature Trends: CMIP3 and CMIP5 Twentieth-Century Simulations (J. Climate, Nov. 2013). See Research Highlight page (summary of article).
- Simulation of Early 20th Century Global Warming
- Tropical Pacific Decadal Variability and Trends
- Coral Bleaching (Donner et al. PNAS paper)
- Land cover change affects on climate (Findell et al. 2006)