Associate Research Scholar
Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (AOS) at Princeton University
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL),
Climate Variations and Predictability Group
- Tropical cyclone climate projections and predictions
- Extreme events
- Numerical weather prediction
- Ph. D. Tsukuba University, Tsukuba, Japan – Mar 2011
- Dissertation title: Tropical cyclone climate projections by 20-km mesh MRI/JMA atmospheric general circulation model. [PDF]
- M. Sc. Tsukuba University, Tsukuba, Japan – Mar 2000
- B. Sc. Tsukuba University, Tsukuba, Japan – Mar 1998
- Postdoctoral Fellow: University of Hawaii at Manoa, IPRC, Hawaii, USA, 2012 – 2014
- Project Researcher: Meteorological Research Institute (MRI), Tsukuba, Japan, 2007 – 2012
- Project Researcher: Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), Tokyo, Japan, 2002 – 2007
Selected Publications (Full List)
- Murakami, H., G. A. Vecchi, T. L. Delworth, A. T. Wittenberg, S. Underwood, R. Gudgel, X. Yang, L. Jia, F. Zeng, K. Paffendorf, and W. Zhang, 2015: Dominant role of subtropical Pacific warming on the extreme 2015 central Pacific hurricane season Nat. Climate Change, under review.
- Murakami, H., G. Villarini, G. A. Vecchi, W. Zhang, and R. Gudgel 2015: Statistical-dynamical seasonal forecast of North Atlantic hurricanes and U.S. landfalling tropical cyclones using the high-resolution GFDL FLOR coupled model. Mon. Wea. Rev., in press.
- Murakami, H., G. A. Vecchi, T. Delworth, K. Paffendorf, R. Gudgel, L. Jia, and F. Zeng, 2015: Investigating the influence of anthropogenic forcing and natural variability on the 2014 Hawaiian hurricane season. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc..
- Murakami, H., G. A. Vecchi, S. Underwood, T. L. Delworth, A. T. Wittenberg, W. Anderson, J. -H. Chen, R. Gudgel, L. Harris, S. -J. Lin, and F. Zeng, 2015: Simulation and prediction of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the high-resolution GFDL HiFLOR coupled climate model. J. Climate, 28, 9058-9079. [PDF] [research summary]
- Murakami, H., 2014: Tropical cyclones in reanalysis data sets. Geophys. Res. Lett., 41(6), 2133-2141.
- Murakami, H., P. -C. Hsu, O. Arakawa, and T. Li, 2014: Influence of model biases on projected future changes in tropical cyclone frequency of occurrence. J. Climate, 27, 2159-2181.
- Murakami, H., T. Li, and P. -C. Hsu, 2014: Contributing factors to the recent high level of Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) and Power Dissipation Index (PDI) in the North Atlantic. J. Climate, 27, 3023-3034.
- Murakami, H., M. Sugi, and A. Kitoh, 2014: ?Future changes in tropical cyclone activity in the North Indian Ocean projected by the new high-resolution MRI-AGCMs.,? in Monitoring and Prediction of Tropical Cyclones in the Indian Ocean and Climate Change., Mohanty, U. C., M. Mohapatra, O. P. Singh, B. K. Bandyopadhyay, and L. S. Rathore, Eds., Springer, 65-71.
- Murakami, H., T. Li, and M. Peng, 2013: Changes to environmental parameters that control tropical cyclone genesis under global warming. Geophys. Res. Lett., 40(10), 2265-2270.
- Murakami, H., M. Sugi, and A. Kitoh, 2013: Future changes in tropical cyclone activity in the North Indian Ocean projected by high-resolution MRI-AGCMs. Clim. Dyn., 40(7-8), 1949-1968.
- Murakami, H., B. Wang, T. Li, and A. Kitoh, 2013: Projected increase in tropical cyclones near Hawaii. Nat. Climate Change, 3, 749-754.
- Murakami, H., R. Mizuta, and E. Shindo, 2012: Future changes in tropical cyclone activity projected by multi-physics and multi-SST ensemble experiments using the 60-km-mesh MRI-AGCM. Clim. Dyn., 39(9-10), 2569-2584.
- Murakami, H., Y. Wang, H. Yoshimura, R. Mizuta, M. Sugi, E. Shindo, Y. Adachi, S. Yukimoto, M. Hosaka, S. Kusunoki, T. Ose, and A. Kitoh, 2012: Future changes in tropical cyclone activity projected by the new high-resolution MRI-AGCM. J. Climate, 25, 3237-3260.
- Murakami, H., B. Wang, and A. Kitoh, 2011: Future change of western North Pacific typhoons: Projections by a 20-km-mesh global atmospheric model. J. Climate, 24, 1154-1169.
- Murakami, H. and M. Sugi, 2010: Effect of model resolution on tropical cyclone climate projections. SOLA, 6, 73-76.
- Murakami, H. and B. Wang, 2010: Future change of North Atlantic tropical cyclone tracks: Projection by a 20-km-mesh global atmospheric model. J. Climate, 23, 2699-2721.
- Murakami, H., T. Matsumura, R. Sakai, A. Noda, and S. Kusunoki, 2008: Verification of typhoon forecasts for a 20km-mesh high-resolution global model. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 86, 669-698.
- Murakami, H. and T. Matsumura, 2007: Development of an effective non-linear normal mode initialization method for a high resolution global model. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 85, 187-208.
See also GFDL Bibriography