Dr. Xiaosong Yang
UCAR, Project Scientist II
Climate Variations and Predictability Group, NOAA/GFDL
Princeton University Forrestal Campus
201 Forrestal Road, Princeton, NJ 08540
Phone: 609-452-5311, Fax: 609-987-5063, Email: Xiaosong.Yang@noaa.gov
- Ph.D. in Marine and Atmospheric Science, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, 2006
- M.S. in Atmospheric Dynamics, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2000
- B.S. in Meteorology, Ocean University of Qingdao, China, 1995
- Coupled model initialization for climate prediction
- Subseasonal-seasonal-decadal scale climate predictability and variability
- Climate extremes: Attribution and prediction
- Eddy-mean flow interactions and storm track dynamics
- Yang, X., western United States El Niño precipitation during the 2015/16 winter, J. Climate, Submiited.
- Jia, Liwei, X. Yang, G. A. Vecchi, R. Gudgel, T. Delworth, S. Fueglistaler, P. Lin, A. Scaife, S. Underwood, S.-J. Lin, 2016: Seasonal Prediction Skill of Northern Extratropical Surface Temperature Driven by the Stratosphere, J. Climate, in revision.
Selected papers on predictability studies
- Jia, Liwei, G. A. Vecchi, X. Yang, R. G. Gudgel, T. L. Delworth, W. F. Stern, K. Paffendorf, S. D. Underwood, and F. Zeng, 2016: The Roles of Radiative Forcing, Sea Surface Temperatures, and Atmospheric and Land Initial Conditions in U.S. Summer Warming Episodes. Journal of Climate, 29(11), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0471.1
- Yang, X. et al., 2015: Seasonal predictability of extratropical storm tracks in GFDL’s high-resolution climate prediction model, J. Climate, 28, 3592-3611,doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00517.1
- Jia, L. et al., 2015: Improved Seasonal Prediction of Temperature and Precipitation over Land in a High-resolution GFDL Climate Model, J. Climate, 28, 2044-2062, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00112.1.
- Yang, X. et al., 2013: A predictable AMO-like pattern in GFDL’s fully-coupled ensemble initialization and decadal forecasting system, Journal of Climate., 26(2), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00231.1 .
- DelSole, T., X. Yang and M. K. Tippett, 2013: Is Unequal Weighting Significantly Better than Equal Weighting for Multi-Model Forecasting?, Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 139, DOI:10.1002/qj.1961
- Yang, X. and T. DelSole, 2012: Comparison of ENSO teleconnection patterns over land between models and observations, Journal of Climate, 25, 425?446, DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00175.1
Selected papers on data assimilation
- DelSole, T., and X. Yang, 2010: State and Parameter Estimation in Stochastic Dynamical Models, Physica D, 239,1781-1788.
- Yang, X., and T. DelSole, 2009: Using ensemble Kalman Filter to estimate multiplicative parameters, Tellus A, 61, 601-609.
- Yang, X., and T. DelSole, 2009: The diffuse ensemble filter, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, 16, 475-486