I am the Deputy Director of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL). My primary role is to coordinate between the scientific mission of the lab and its infrastructure support activities, such as administration and information technologies (ex. high performance computing). I also interact with external entities from other line office units, line office headquarters, other NOAA line offices, federal agencies, legislative branch of government and universities in support of the lab’s science.
GFDL’s mission is to advance scientific understanding of climate and its natural and anthropogenic variations and impacts, and improve NOAA’s predictive capabilities, through the development and use of world-leading computer models of the Earth System.
GFDL works cooperatively in NOAA to advance its expert assessments of changes in national and global climate through research, improved models, and products. For an overview of GFDL’s work, see our Fact Sheet.
Examples of Projects and Activities I have been involved with:
- Morrison, A K., Stephen M Griffies, Michael Winton, Whit G Anderson, and Jorge L Sarmiento, March 2016: Mechanisms of Southern Ocean heat uptake and transport in a global eddying climate model. Journal of Climate, 29(6), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0579.1
- Pascale, S, S Bordoni, Sarah B Kapnick, Gabriel A Vecchi, Liwei Jia, Thomas L Delworth, Seth D Underwood, and Whit G Anderson, in press: The impact of horizontal resolution on North American monsoon Gulf of California moisture surges in a suite of coupled global climate models. Journal of Climate. DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0199.1. August 2016.
- Saba, Vincent S., Stephen M Griffies, Whit G Anderson, Michael Winton, M A Alexander, Thomas L Delworth, J A Hare, Matthew J Harrison, Anthony Rosati, Gabriel A Vecchi, and Rong Zhang, January 2016: Enhanced warming of the northwest Atlantic Ocean under climate change. Journal of Geophysical Research, 121(1), DOI:10.1002/2015JC011346 .
- Zhang, Wei, Gabriel A Vecchi, Hiroyuki Murakami, Thomas L Delworth, Andrew T Wittenberg, Anthony Rosati, Seth D Underwood, Whit G Anderson,Lucas M Harris, Richard G Gudgel, Shian-Jiann Lin, G Villarini, and Jan-Huey Chen, February 2016: Improved Simulation of Tropical Cyclone Responses to ENSO in the Western North Pacific in the High-Resolution GFDL HiFLOR Coupled Climate Model. Journal of Climate, 29(4), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0475.1 .
Dufour, C O., Stephen M Griffies, Gregory F de Souza, I Frenger, A K Morrison, J B Palter, Jorge L Sarmiento, E D Galbraith, John P Dunne, Whit G Anderson, and Richard D Slater, December 2015: Role of mesoscale eddies in cross-frontal transport of heat and biogeochemical tracers in the Southern Ocean. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 45(12), DOI:10.1175/JPO-D-14-0240.1
- Griffies, Stephen M., Michael Winton, Whit G Anderson, Rusty Benson, Thomas L Delworth, C O Dufour, John P Dunne, P Goddard, A K Morrison,Andrew T Wittenberg, J Yin, and Rong Zhang, in press: Impacts on ocean heat from transient mesoscale eddies in a hierarchy of climate models. Journal of Climate. DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00353.1. 11/14.
- Kim, Hyeong-Seog, Gabriel A Vecchi, Thomas R Knutson, Whit G Anderson, Thomas L Delworth, Anthony Rosati, Fanrong Zeng, and Ming Zhao, November 2014: Tropical Cyclone Simulation and Response to CO2 Doubling in the GFDL CM2.5 High-Resolution Coupled Climate Model. Journal of Climate, 27(21), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00475.1.
- Msadek, Rym, Thomas L Delworth, Anthony Rosati, Whit G Anderson, Gabriel A Vecchi, You-Soon Chang, Keith W Dixon, Rich Gudgel, William F Stern, Andrew T Wittenberg, X-Q Yang, Fanrong Zeng, Rong Zhang, and Shaoqing Zhang, September 2014: Predicting a Decadal Shift in North Atlantic Climate Variability Using the GFDL Forecast System. Journal of Climate, 27(17), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00476.1.
- Vecchi, Gabriel A., Rym Msadek, Whit G Anderson, You-Soon Chang, Thomas L Delworth, Keith W Dixon, Rich Gudgel, Anthony Rosati, William F Stern, G Villarini, Andrew T Wittenberg, Xiaosong Yang, Fanrong Zeng, Rong Zhang, and Shaoqing Zhang, January 2014: Reply to Comment on Multi-year Predictions of North Atlantic Hurricane Frequency: Promise and limitations. Journal of Climate, 27(1), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00381.1.
- Vecchi, Gabriel A., Thomas L Delworth, Rich Gudgel, Sarah B Kapnick, Anthony Rosati, Andrew T Wittenberg, Fanrong Zeng, Whit G Anderson,Venkatramani Balaji, Keith W Dixon, Liwei Jia, Hyeong-Seog Kim, Lakshmi Krishnamurthy, Rym Msadek, William F Stern, Seth Underwood, G Villarini, Xiaosong Yang, and Shaoqing Zhang, November 2014: On the Seasonal Forecasting of Regional Tropical Cyclone Activity. Journal of Climate, 27(21), DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00158.1.
- Winton, Michael, Whit G Anderson, Thomas L Delworth, Stephen M Griffies, William J Hurlin, and Anthony Rosati, in press: Has Coarse Ocean Resolution Biased Simulations of Transient Climate Sensitivity?. Geophysical Research Letters. DOI:10.1002/2014GL061523. 11/14.
- Zhang, Shaoqing, Ming Zhao, Shian-Jiann Lin, Xiaosong Yang, and Whit G Anderson, January 2014: Retrieval of Tropical Cyclone Statistics with a High-Resolution Coupled Model and Data. Geophysical Research Letters, 41(2), DOI:10.1002/2013GL058879.