John P. Krasting
My primary interests are in the realm of modeling and analyzing climate-carbon cycle interactions, with a particular focus on interannual variability and future climate change.
- Understanding the relationships between climate variability and carbon cycle variability
- Characterizing the role of natural carbon cycle variability during the 20th century
- Exploring the sensitivity of the coupled climate-carbon cycle system to different climate change scenarios
Prior Research Topics
- execution of the Earth System Model (ESM) for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fifth Assessment Report (IPCC AR5)
- mesoscale modeling of wind energy resources and sea breeze circulations
- regional and hemispheric response of snowfall to increases in greenhouse gas (GHG) concentrations
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, Rutgers University, 2008
- B.S., Meteorology, Rutgers University, 2003
|Does TCRE depend on the rate of carbon emissions?
In a recent paper published in Geophysical Research Letters, we explore this question using the GFDL’s ESM2G coupled climate-carbon cycle model. Our results indicate that TCRE varies between 0.76 and 1.04 °C/TtC for emissions ranging between 2 GtC/year and 25 GtC/year. TCRE is highest for both the very low and very high emissions rates, but is lowest for emission rates that are close to present-day rates (i.e. 5 to 10 GtC/year). We also demonstrate that the TCRE signal difficult to detect under low emissions and on short timescales. Furthermore, the climate response to zero-emissions depends on prior emission rates. [more]
Our paper was also highlighted in the April 2014 issue of Nature Climate Change.
- Eyring, V, M Righi, A Lauer, M Evaldsson, S Wenzel, C Jones, A Anav, O Andrews, I Cionni, E L Davin, C Deser, C Ehbrecht, P Friedlingstein, P J Gleckler, K-D Gottschaldt, S Hagemann, M Juckes, S Kindermann, and John P Krasting, et al., May 2016: ESMValTool (v1.0) – a community diagnostic and performance metrics tool for routine evaluation of Earth system models in CMIP. Geoscientific Model Development, 9(5), doi:10.5194/gmd-9-1747-2016.
- Griffies, Stephen M., G Danabasoglu, P J Durack, Alistair Adcroft, V Balaji, C Boning, E P Chassignet, E N Curchitser, J Deshayes, H Drange, B Fox-Kemper, P J Gleckler, J M Gregory, H Haak, Robert Hallberg, H T Hewitt, D M Holland, T Ilyina, J H Jungclaus, Y Komuro, John P Krasting, W G Large, S J Marsland, S Masina, T J McDougall, A J George Nurser, James C Orr, A Pirani, F Qiao, Ronald J Stouffer, K E Taylor, A M Treguier, H Tsujino, P Uotila, M Valdivieso, Michael Winton, and S G Yeager, September 2016: OMIP contribution to CMIP6: experimental and diagnostic protocol for the physical component of the Ocean Model Intercomparison Project. Geoscientific Model Development, 9(9), doi:10.5194/gmd-9-3231-2016.
- Krasting, John P., John P Dunne, Ronald J Stouffer, and Robert Hallberg, March 2016: Enhanced Atlantic sea-level rise relative to the Pacific under high carbon emission rates. Nature Geoscience, 9(3), doi:10.1038/ngeo2641.
- Frölicher, Thomas L., Jorge L Sarmiento, David J Paynter, John P Dunne, John P Krasting, and Michael Winton, January 2015: Dominance of the Southern Ocean in anthropogenic carbon and heat uptake in CMIP5 models. Journal of Climate, 28(2), doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00117.1.
- Ding, Y, J A Carton, G A Chepurin, G Stenchikov, A Robock, Lori T Sentman, and John P Krasting, September 2014: Ocean response to volcanic eruptions in Coupled Model Intercomparison Project 5 (CMIP5) simulations. Journal of Geophysical Research, 119(9), doi:10.1002/2013JC009780.
- Krasting, John P., John P Dunne, Elena Shevliakova, and Ronald J Stouffer, April 2014: Trajectory sensitivity of the transient climate response to cumulative carbon emissions. Geophysical Research Letters, 41(7), doi:10.1002/2013GL059141.
- Dunne, John P., Jasmin G John, Elena Shevliakova, Ronald J Stouffer, John P Krasting, Sergey Malyshev, P C D Milly, Lori T Sentman, Alistair Adcroft, William F Cooke, Krista A Dunne, Stephen M Griffies, Robert Hallberg, Matthew J Harrison, Hiram Levy II, Andrew T Wittenberg, Peter Phillipps, and Niki Zadeh, April 2013: GFDL's ESM2 global coupled climate-carbon Earth System Models Part II: Carbon system formulation and baseline simulation characteristics. Journal of Climate, 26(7), doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00150.1.
- Hallberg, Robert, Alistair Adcroft, John P Dunne, John P Krasting, and Ronald J Stouffer, May 2013: Sensitivity of Twenty-First-Century Global-Mean Steric Sea Level Rise to Ocean Model Formulation. Journal of Climate, 26(9), doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00506.1.
- Krasting, John P., Anthony J Broccoli, Keith W Dixon, and John R Lanzante, October 2013: Future Changes in Northern Hemisphere Snowfall. Journal of Climate, 26(20), doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-12-00832.1.
- Shevliakova, Elena, Ronald J Stouffer, Sergey Malyshev, John P Krasting, G C Hurtt, and S W Pacala, October 2013: Historical warming reduced due to enhanced land carbon uptake. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(42), doi:10.1073/pnas.1314047110.
- Dunne, John P., Jasmin G John, Alistair Adcroft, Stephen M Griffies, Robert Hallberg, Elena Shevliakova, Ronald J Stouffer, William F Cooke, Krista A Dunne, Matthew J Harrison, John P Krasting, Sergey Malyshev, P C D Milly, Peter Phillipps, Lori T Sentman, Bonita L Samuels, Michael J Spelman, Michael Winton, Andrew T Wittenberg, and Niki Zadeh, October 2012: GFDL's ESM2 global coupled climate-carbon Earth System Models Part I: Physical formulation and baseline simulation characteristics. Journal of Climate, 25(19), doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00560.1.
Page last updated: December 22, 2016